Thursday, March 24, 2011

Back to the US

I arrived Saturday in the US just slightly ahead of one of the worst weather spells to hit the country in recent years. It has basically been a dreary four days with frequent rain or thunderstorms, making it difficult to do much sight-seeing. Yosemite is now shut because of the severe weather and a part of the beautiful Highway 1 near the magnificent Big Sur area was also damaged. In some ways, this is probably not such a bad thing given the recent concerns over how the radioactive cloud from Japan could potentially blow towards the US. So for now, it might make good sense to avoid the coastal areas.

I'm not really in the mood for sight-seeing either following the recent emotional upheavals in my life.  I am acutely aware that I am no longer -- in some ways -- the same person that I used to be. At immigration, I forgot to fill up a form and was gently reproached by the officer. "You've been here before, you should know." It was just a few months ago that our family arrived in the US but now that period seems like a distant dream.

It was so good to be reunited with Hubby again but it felt kind of strange that Kieran wasn't with us as all the memories of our travels in the US were intrinsically linked with him. That's why it was good that Hubby moved out of our family housing in Escondido Village (EV) and into a studio at Munger. The house would have felt strange without Kieran's presence.

We have been uploading videos of the few place we've been so far so that Kieran can see us and know what we are doing. He's been a really good boy. I told him earlier I would be coming to the US alone to see Daddy who is alone here and he understands. It is amazing how mature and perceptive a child can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment