Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kieran on his own

Woke up to a cold Monday morning and was in a rush preparing Kieran's lunch and getting him ready for school. He seemed rather crankly, perhaps due to the fact that the weather had turned cooler and drier and was  making his skin itch. Nonetheless, he ate his cereal and got ready to go.

He wanted Mummy to carry him and clung to me as if he knew instinctively that today was going to be different and Mummy wasn't going to be hanging around the classroom. He didn't go to his favourite aeroplane or corner of the classroom but stuck to me. Finally I managed to get him to sit at the table with the other kids for a mid-morning snack of banana and whole wheat waffles. Then it was time to go. I told Kieran that I was going to do some shopping and would be back later. I gave him a hug. As I was walking out the door, I heard him call Mummy and Ms Jen, the head teacher, quickly went over to talk to him. Then the door closed.

Felt a little strange coming back to an empty house. Ever since David started school in late September, it has mostly been Kieran and I at home during the day. The time just flew especially since I was busy taking care of him.

Decided to walk over to have a peek to see how he was doing. It was time for the kids to be at the playground but I couldn't spot Kieran from where I was standing by the fence. When I went in and walked towards the back of the house, I finally saw him. My little boy was sitting all by himself at the bench. And my heart sank. I didn't look closely at his face because I didn't want to see him to see me but I imagined he must be wondering where I was. He wasn't tearing around the playground on the bike like he did last week when I was there with him. It was so unlike him to sit still. But I knew I had to let him get through the day without me and to adjust. I just didn't know it would be so hard.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like crying too! It's like a necessary rite of passage our beloved boy has to go through... in order to grow up. He's on his own... sobs!

    ReplyDelete