I can't remember when it began. This obsession with paring things down. Maybe it is to do with age. Or being worn out by packed schedules and rushing around. In recent years, I've been trying to declutter my life.
This involved choosing whom I spent my time with. Being a parent and working mother, my time naturally revolved around work and the boys. I keep just a couple of close friends (I can do a count with my fingers) and that is enough. In my line of work, I meet lots of people but they are just acquaintances and I like to keep it that way.
I am interested to get to know people but I am selective about my time outside of work and family. I can't remember the last party I attended and I have no desire to go to another.
I try to stick to my principles in everything I do. Let's agree to disagree and move on.
I believe it is important to dress well because it shows that you take care of yourself. By dressing well, I don't mean spending lots of money on branded goods but going with less is more, quality rather than quantity.
It takes very little to make me happy. I went for a run yesterday evening with my son at the nearby park. That made me happy.
I started exercising regularly about a year and a half ago and now it is part of my regular routine. I love the fact that all I need is to put on my running shoes and off I go. No fuss.
I also love that I live near a beautiful park and wake up every morning to a little patch of greenery outside my window.
As long as I can exercise, frankly that is all I need.
Keeping it simple also means trying to recycle as much as I can and asking myself if this is something I really need or want. I am also zealous about getting rid of what I don't need.
Increasingly, I find shopping tiring and I hardly go to malls. But shopping for food is a real pleasure. I think it is important to be particular about what you eat.
When I am on vacation, I no longer want to pack it all in and rush from one scenic spot to another. Rather, I prefer to wake up each morning and then decide what I'll do for the day. That to me is a luxury.
I read about Marie Kondo who is famous for her book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up". I haven't had a chance to read it but I agree with her. Keeping it simple does change your perspective on life.
I observe my boys and I think we can learn a lot from children how to be happy. Being active, figuring things out, singing a song. It really is that simple.
No comments:
Post a Comment