Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cooking

I spend a fair amount of time here cooking and it's something that I have become really interested in. Perhaps it is because of the satisfaction that comes with whipping up a good meal for the family or maybe it's because I've been reading a lot of books about food lately.

Of course the excellent and fresh produce here also whets my appetite and desire to be a good cook. Sundays are not complete without a trip to the farmers' market at California Avenue to pick up locally grown fruits and vegetables. And the variety is amazing. From artichokes to broomsfield spinach (officially the family's favourite veggie) and fruits ranging from fresh strawberries to black grapes and oranges, I am surely spolit for choice. Not forgetting that I also have the option of buying free-range poultry and eggs and even raw milk (haven't got to that yet!)

Anyway, in no particular order, is a selection of what I have been cooking. And for those who are interested and aspiring to be good cooks, I recommend the following books.

Fuchsia Dunlop's Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper - a sweet-sour memoir of eating in China
Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires/Tender at the Bone/Comfort Me With Apples


Where the cooking takes place

Kieran's lunch - brown rice porridge with pork and spinach

Hunter-style chicken

Stir-fry spinach

Home-made pizza on wholemeal bread

Pork rib, corn and carrot soup

No comments:

Post a Comment