It's just hours before Kieran and I get on the plane with our in-laws to Singapore and I am already missing Hubby. Our suitcases are packed (we arrived in the US with two bags but we are going back with seven!) and the house suddenly feels a lot bigger and emptier.
The separation will probably be harder on Hubby since Kieran and I will at least have the company of our family and friends, while he will be coming home to an empty house. But Hubby has a packed schedule this quarter, which will keep him busy and occupied, and hopefully help to ease the loneliness.
Still, we are thankful for the four months that we spent as a family together in the US. From preparing for the trip to settling down in a foreign land, it has been one roller-coaster ride. The initial phase was tough -- scrambling to find a pediatrican for Kieran when he developed enzema here while Mummy battled with an incessant tooth and gum ache and Hubby struggled to adapt to the intensity and rigour of academic life. Those were certainly stressful and frustrating times.
But the hardships and heartaches helped to strengthen and bond our little family, and brought us closer together. The best part was of course seeing how much Kieran has grown during this time. I am also glad he got to see some of the most spectacular views in the country with us.
It will be another period of adjustment for the family in 2011 as we cope with being apart from our loved ones. Although the separation will not be easy, I am hopeful we will learn to appreciate one another during this time.
On our last night in the US, Kieran -- to his delight -- managed to see four trains going past. Being an avid fan of the Thomas the Train series, this was a dream come true. I like to think of this as a stroke of good luck, which bodes well for the year ahead. Stay tune for more adventures from the electric ducks!
No comments:
Post a Comment